International Students

International Student Office

Please, feel free to contact us anytime you have any questions. We are here for you!


Phone number: +420 778 434 896 | +420 778 466 803

Visa Requirements

International students from outside the EU, EEA, and Switzerland will need a visa or residence permit to study in the Czech Republic.

We recommend that you start the visa application process as soon as you have received the official letter of admission, especially if you are a non-EU citizen, as the whole procedure requires some paperwork and can take up to 60 days.

Students arriving for a period longer than one year should apply for a long-term residence permit for study purposes.

The application is submitted at the Czech Embassy.

Along with the application for a long-term residence permit, you must submit:

  • a travel document (passport), valid at least 3 months longer than the long-term permit
  • a document confirming the purpose of your stay in the territory (an acceptance letter issued by AMBIS University),
  • a confirmation of accommodation (an original or a notarised copy of the rental agreement, sub-letting contract, accommodation agreement, or an agreement with similar content),
  • a photograph,
  • a confirmation of sufficient financial resources for living in the Czech Republic (or document, that all costs will be paid by a state authority (state organization), legal organization, or domestic host organization),
  • valid international health insurance - proof of medical travel insurance is understood to be a document in which the relevant insurance company declares/confirms the period of insurance (insurance must cover the entire stay in the Czech Republic), the extent of the insurance, and the amount of the insurance benefit

Upon request:

  • a document similar to an extract from the Penal Register record,
  • a document proving the fulfilment of conditions set out in the measure of Ministry of Health on prevention of the spread of infectious illnesses (Medical report).

Further information:

If the applicant is a minor, parental consent is required.

The requirements for the application shall not be older than 180 days except for the travel document and the photograph of the foreign national if it corresponds to his/her actual appearance.

Please note that some documents (e.g. the abstract from the Register of Criminal Records) must be translated into the Czech language by a translator with an official rubber stamp.

You should always consult your local Czech embassy or consulate or check the website of the Ministry of Interior of the Czech Republic for the latest information regarding visa requirements.

Please note that our university is obliged by law to report to the Czech Ministry of the Interior any international student granted a long term visa/residence permit who does not commence their studies on the stipulated start date on their study program.

More information here.

Medical care & Health insurance

Standard of health care in the Czech republic is considered as generally high and similar with other European countries. You can find both state run and private facilities in the Czech medical system.

Students from countries outside the EU

Foreign students who intend to stay in the Czech Republic for more than 90 days are required to purchase a comprehensive health insurance coverage.

The coverage limit is minimum EUR 60,000 and the insurance must be purchased for the entire period of stay.

We recommend that your insurance provider is officially registered on the list of authorized companies maintained by the Czech National Bank providers. You may arrange your insurance contract online

You can contact the local Czech diplomatic mission to check whether your insurance meets all the requirements.

You will be asked to provide them the exact dates for the insurance coverage and your Czech residence address (the address which is on the accommodation document you used when you applied for your visa).

Students from the EU and Switzerland

If you have valid health insurance in your home country, you can apply for the EU health insurance card (EHIC). This free card gives you access to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare (not private).

Please note that EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. It does not cover any private healthcare or costs such as a return flight to your home country or lost/stolen property.


Proof of accommodation is a mandatory part of the visa application. 

You have several options for your accommodation in the Czech Republic

  • Student Dormitories
  • Private Accommodation

In general, student dormitories are cheaper than private accommodation. On the other hand, at student dormitories, single rooms are rare, so you will probably share your room with other students. In student dormitories, the kitchen (with basic kitchen equipment), shower, and toilet are also usually shared. Of course, there are modern private student rooms, too. They are usually more expensive but better equipped.

We can kindly recommend the accommodation at Hostel Letov.

Private rooms or flats can be found through advertising websites or real estate agencies.